Franiwack

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Sunday, May 02, 2004

As I approach graduation from UCLA, it seems like both such a short and long educational process that got me here to the present time... so many people and things that synergistically brought about this "mentally developed" person, as you might say....

Anyways, I just wanted to list all my favorite and influential teachers... I am what they taught me...

Elementary School - Longley Way, Arcadia, CA
:: Charlotte Cowan - 6th grade
I'll never forget this truly unique, vivacious lady, many a times I really wish for one day back in her classroom. She taught me so much about life. So many things that I remember about that special year in elementary school and I do think it has really contributed to who I am today.

High School - Arcadia High School, Arcadia, CA
:: Douglas Wilks - AP Biology
Contrary to what my other classmates might say, I really had a blast in AP Bio! It became my favorite class in the four years of high school. Because of Mr. Wilks, my love for biology lasts to this day. Mr. Wilks really cared about the students, such a cool guy! I'm still wondering after five years why I had gotten that senior award in bio even though there were so many other people who excelled in his class. Did he see when no one else did that I was truly interested in the biology and not just in getting good test grades like other people? This thought has kept me believing that I can make a significant contribution to the biological sciences in whatever way that I can.

College - UCLA, Los Angeles, CA
:: David Kan - Program in Computing
:: Nicolas Christou - Statistics

I have no idea where Mrs. Cowan or Mr. Wilks is... both retired?? Haven't tried to track them down, but I wish I could talk to them again someday... I haven't seen either of them since the last day of their class. Do any of my elementary school, junior high, high school teachers ever wonder where their kids end up? Wonder what they are doing now and if they remember anything that they had taught them? Teachers have such an important job, and I can't understand why one of them thinks that he isn't doing a job that is as noble as being a medical doctor for example.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Sean said...

Mrs. Cowan was a miserable, miserable teacher. How the school district allowed her to keep teaching for so long is a mystery, particularly given her tendency to treat sixth grade as one of her sunday school classes--clear violation of the law there. She is (or was) a horrible teacher. The world is a better place now that she's no longer in the classroom.

2:42 PM  
Blogger CharlieH313 said...

http://idyllwildtowncrier.com/2011/02/10/obituary-charlotte-s-cowan/

She was pretty outspoken and would scare some kids but I remember she did have something special about her and the way she taught. It was old school...disciplinary...but I don't think that's all bad considering so many teachers nowadays barely care about their students and their jobs.

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home