Franiwack

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Saturday, April 08, 2006



Tchaikovsky Swan Lake
8-11pm with Nancy
Cal Performances at Zellerbach Hall

Absolutely beautiful ballet! The prima ballerina was incredible; she can spin on one leg for at least a minute. The orchestra was fantastic, all the other ballerinas were completely graceful and in sync. The men were so muscular; and their tights really did not leave anything to the imagination. Three acts: 1) prince falls in love with woman/swan under spell of sorcerer 2) he declares love to sorcerer's daughter who is pretending to be the queen swan 3) everyone dies... yep

I wasn't too much into the story, never did like a story where two people fall in love for no good substantial reason other than seeing each other in a foggy lake in the moonlight. My mind always steers back to practical reasons as how they didn't even bother getting to really know each other better first before committing suicide in the lake. But the dancing is extremely breathtaking! The skill and stamina involved... just wow... Plus the costumes were gorgeous! Definitely a well-produced ballet.

Anyhoo, one terrific experience. I really should be going to more of these cal performances while I'm here in Berkeley. It's so cheap for students. While a movie in a crappy Berkeley theater will still cost almost 9 bucks, you can get a complete live performance with great music and skill for the same price (during 50% off time) or just double it (my ticket tonight was only $18, and I still saw everything).

I also bumped into one of my former students. He loves the ballet, and goes to these shows often. It's becoming weirder that I keep bumping into him all the time. Just recently saw him at RSF when I was working out with Margaret. Plus, he only lives a few blocks away from me in El Monte! I think he said Peck Rd or something, and he's offered to drive me back home during breaks. Really nice guy and a grad student here in poli sci.

Alritey, enough fun for tonite. The sooner I get to bed, the sooner I can wake up to go work in that lovely office of mine in Evans tomorrow. Ta ta! =)
Posted by Picasa

1 Comments:

Blogger Transcience said...

I'm pretty sure that's the show I saw in Russia. The dancer who played the witch made limping look graceful.

12:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home