Franiwack

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Sunday, June 25, 2006

i'm an inline skating goddess

12-6pm
- I tackled some routes on the Bay Trail (http://baytrail.abag.ca.gov/maps/East_Bay.pdf)
- After I successfully crossed the pedestrian bridge, I found the Berkeley Marina and explored that area. I must say, the public restrooms are quite nice there, but the roads are not great for skating.
- After a loop around the Berkeley Marina, I skated south to Emeryville and then turned right on Powell St. to get to the Emeryville Marina. Much nicer, better routes, closer to the water, will definitely come here again.
- After Emeryville Marina, skated back up the way I came and passed my started position to go eat at this deli near the water. Roast beef sandwich, yep.
- Then decided to attempt going all the way to Point Isabel, Richmond. Which turned out to be quite scary journey...
- Despite bringing numerous maps, I almost ended up on a freeway. That's a big no-no.
- I passed through this weird place called Golden Gate Fields, traversed its parking lot before I found a way to go more north.
- This way turned out to be this very very steep hill doing down. BAD. IDEA.
- Like my bravery at skiing, I pushed forward and then got freaked out for the next 45 seconds as I went down insanely fast over very gravelly, bumpy road with no way of stopping or slowing down... and all the time, extremely frightened of losing control and letting the ground sandpaper me.
- I managed to get down fine (just like in skiing) by not loosening my legs ever and remaining tight until the horror got to a grinding stop.
- At the end of this treacherous concrete hill, however, is this vast abandoned parking lot in Richmond (not a good place to be traversing alone...). I almost decide to give up and go back. But the timid adventurer in me vows to press on.
- So I finally skate across this huge parking lot and I finally find a small exit. In my excitement, I fall to my knees. Yep, the first time I've fallen while skating in over a year! (and that last time didn't really count since I lost balance b/c I wasn't wearing glasses or contacts...)
- Anyhoo, I finally find the correct trail (yay for maps!) and get to Point Isabel finally. Victory is mine!!
- Not so fast.
- The trail at Point Isabel is virtually unskatable. The road was so rough, I could only go a few inches without stumbling over numerous rocks.
- I should have known that this wasn't prime real estate for skating as I noticed I was the only person there without a dog.
- So after many jolts, I finally take a break to finish my roast beef sandwich on a bench there. Another bad idea...
- Huge dog decides it's fun to attack me and try to get at my sandwich. Side effects include wet and dirty paw marks on my shorts and thighs and a rapidly beating heart.
- I finally decide I've had enough of this dog park. But the thought of that steep hill frightens me that I don't think I want to go back the way I came.
- Dilemma: if I don't go back the way I came, how the hell do I go home as I'm stupid enough to skate miles and miles away from home alone??
- Ah ha, 43 bus sign, I'm saved! So I wait, and ... wait.... and wait...
- Stupid buses that don't come on time. I decide to call the help line. It's completely voice activated and for some reason is unable to comprehend a single syllable coming out of my California mouth. Two attempts and I'm about ready to scream bloody hell. "I'm sorry, did you mean 'Pachenko'? (I had said Richmond quite succinctly into my cell phone) "No! Richmond!!" "I'm sorry, did you mean 'Pachenko'? "AAAAARRRRRGH!" [HANG UP]
- I was about to enter this doggy shop to ask if the 43 would ever show up when it does. Hallelujah!!
- And then, 1 hour later, I'm home (after another bus transfer at Shattuck...)

Great fun, but I would really like to go with someone next time. To partake in the beauty of the bay with me. [Save my butt from doing crazy stuff.] To hold witty conversations while gliding along the marina. [Prevent me from talking to myself.] To have a picnic with. [To treat me to more of that dog bait / roast beef sandwich.]

I go fast but willing to slow down and teach. [I will ditch you until I need you for directions.]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home