Franiwack

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Sunday, June 01, 2003

From CNN:

CHICAGO, Illinois (CNN) -- Doctors who fight cancer want a stiff new tax on tobacco and tougher laws against secondhand smoke in public places as part of a strategy to save the 1 billion people expected to die this century because of smoking.

I think smoking is the one of the dumbest things a person can do. I know it can be very addicting, but why start in the first place? And if you think that ignorant people or people under peer pressure are the ones smoking, think again. The people who very much know how bad smoking is are smoking too. I seriously don't understand. Take my boss for example. He is one of the most intelligent guys I know, really, this guy got over 1350 on the SATs after only being in the U.S. and learning English for 9 months. I heard he did extremely well on the MCAT. He teaches me so much everyday, most of the stuff is common sense, but some people don't have even that. Yet, he goes outside of Gonda to have a cigarette break at least twice a day. It just baffles me, we do cancer research in this lab! We analyze survival curves all the time, does he not see the people who are dying? He is not the only person in the lab who smokes; by my count, it's at least one third or more who sometimes meet my boss outside for a smoke. They do it so nonchalantly like they have no idea that each one takes away 10 minutes of the lives and leaves their health so much for the worse. I can't explain it.
Smoking: 1,000,000,000 Humans: 0

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home