Franiwack

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Monday, May 10, 2004

I just realized that I never really talk about how my days go... just some blah blah on my mind at the moment. Anyhoo, for all these nonexistent stalkers out there, here's what happened to me today or recently:

Today I had two midterms, both for my two stats classes that I'm taking for fun this quarter. So technically I shouldn't be worried. I did study though even when I got severely hooked on Joan of Arcadia this weekend. Oh boy, that show is great and it shows God in a different light than what you always imagine when you're on campus like a sitting duck for those bible study people who try to convert you. Not that it's that annoying, I do listen, but I have my own relationship with God.

Okay, how did I get sidetracked from talking about my midterms? Anyways, my first midterm went over half an hour. Four datasets and I tried to analyze any which way that I could, but eh.. I'm not proud of what I did. I didn't even leave enough time for writing my conclusions. Do I have to be good at this kind of stuff to go to statistics grad school? Oh wells...it's harder now than when the professor had no idea who I was and thus, I couldn't care a diddly squat if I got a bad grade. Oh goodness, that just showed that I get good grades because other people would care and not me! That sucks... Yeah, but now that she knew who I was and where I'm headed... I guess it's just more disappointing when I can't do well on basic stats stuff. =)

Which is another major factor of why I studied really hard for my second midterm today. It's because the professor knows me so well that I did study for him mostly. Do I really enjoy the material? I do, but does it matter why I enjoy it so much? This once again leaves me confused on what the real me really likes doing, and if I ever knew that, I might even now be aspiring to be a fashion designer or something. hhahahah... dream on. I'm sure that many people have a dream job that's probably never possible and a dream job that they are actually doing. I've talked to professors and it seems like they love their job but their real first dream job would be something totally different like a baseball player or astronaut.

So my second midterm also went over half an hour and that's because my professor always does that. Too nice, if there's no class afterwards, he always lets people have more time. The bad thing was that he claimed it was super easy right before he handed it out to us. NO WAY! Dude, that was NOT an easy test. I made stupid mistakes as usual, some problem got me stuck for more than 30 minutes. And the professor said he was really surprised that people took so long, 1.5 hours when he thought it'd only take half an hour. Well, 1) he's the PROFESSOR! and he made the test, of course it's easy for him!
2) if you KNEW how to do it, writing down the answers doesn't take too long, it's when you go on these loooooooooong tangents trying to figure out the answers that you don't have enough time to finish the test...

Anyways, that second midterm for my financial statistics class IS the very very last test of my entire UCLA career and I'm glad that it was Christou's.

After the test, I derived another way of solving another problem on the test. It took a whole page and more but it luckily came out to be the same answer. Whoohoo! I DO know what I'm doing! hahaha =)

At 4:45pm, I went to IPAM to go hear Prof. Brenner from Berkeley talk. Interesting, but it went over time a lot and lot of people were anxious to get out of there. His grad student was inexperienced in skipping and condensing slides when there is no more time for the presentation. But it finally ended and I got some food, good food which I took to the inverted fountain to eat.

It was soooo nice, just sitting there by the fountain in the sun, listening to music and just enjoying a little time on my own... Two people found me there. First one was I-Shen, I met her in Prof Kan's class more than four years ago. We still bump into each other now and then because she is a graduate student in the math department now.

The second person to see me was Prof. Christou, which made the whole experience even better. I find that if he sees me with someone else, he just ignores me and walks on by, but if I'm by myself, then he'll call my name. Anyways, I'd finished eating already so I walked him to the bus stop and waited with him for the Big Blue Bus. I like those moments, it's a good time to talk about stuff. =)

After the #2 bus came (too soon I say!), I walked home. I've been just watching more Joan of Arcadia all night... a headache is about to come on. But I'm happy. Ooh, and that's also because Justin got his letter!! Yay! =)


(one little sidenote to myself: daaamn, i'm getting to be such a good stalker... it's a little scary...)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home