Franiwack

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Thursday, January 05, 2006

Best part of the book thus far. When Henry visits Clare when he is 36 and she is 12, they talk about girls that Henry used to like. Clare asks if Henry is married. He says yes, but can't bring himself to tell her that he's actually married to her in the future. Clare asks if Henry loves his wife and he replies "Very much."


We sit silently side by side, watching the swaying trees, the birds, the sky. I hear a muffled sniffling noise and glancing at Clare I am astonished to see that tears are streaming across her face toward her ears. I sit up and lean over her. "What's wrong, Clare?" She just shakes her head back and forth and presses her lips together. I smooth her hair, and pull her into a sitting position, wrap my arms around her. She's a child, and then again she isn't. "What's wrong?

It comes out so quietly that I have to ask her to repeat it: "It's just that I thought maybe you were married to me."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home