Franiwack

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Friday, January 27, 2006

How bad can teaching get?

So this morning I get an email from the professor I taught for last semester. She's teaching Stat 2 again this semester and apparently one of the TAs has decided to quit all of a sudden. She emailed three of her former TAs, including me, about whether we could teach today at 1pm. If I had time, I might have, but then 1) I had tons of work to do, 2) I wasn't gonna get paid and 3) I don't like teaching the material on averages.

At any rate, I said no thanks and so did other people. Then a few hours later I get another email from her. Apparently, the TA "resigned" because Stat 2 was too difficult. WTF?!? Who the heck is this TA who can't even teach averages?? Even if you didn't know what averages were, how hard is it to go to the lecture, learn something and then regurgitate it back to the students the next day? See, even if I didn't know the stats, I actually cared enough to learn it and teach them properly... this guy is not even trying! Oh my... such a sorry excuse for a grad/law student.

Yeah, you read right. Law students are teaching our stat classes. I guess so few of us real stat grad students teach the lower division courses that our dept had to circulate emails to the law students encouraging them to come teach basic stats.

So, that is the sorry state of teaching in the stats dept. Can you even imagine what would happen if the students of this AWOL TA caught wind of the reason why he left them? That'd surely freak them out, "How can I expect to pass this class when my GSI can't even handle it??" Hahahahaha...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home