Franiwack

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Saturday, March 05, 2005

I should try to post some things about what's going on with my life, but most of the time, I just don't feel like revisiting whatever I did that day, plus I have such a lousy memory. Everytime my roommates ask me how my day I was, I stare blankly off into space while I try to recount what the heck I did that day.

Self-esteem has been on a rollercoaster these days. Prospective students are coming to visit the department next week. And as most of you may already have guessed, yes, I googled them. Man, such talented smart people! I feel so stupid and lazy and again, why did I even get into this program in the first place? What were the profs on the admissions committee thinking when they got to my app last year??? I had applied to schools so naively...if I really knew the situation, I'd been much more scared and then more excited when I got in. But maybe not knowing that I wasn't such a good candidate would have just worried me too much while waiting. Oh wells, now I just have to keep trying so they don't kick me out...

And then on another note, my advisor is just terrific, couldn't have a more caring person to guide me into the exciting world known as ..... research! Yeah, I'm kind of surprised also that I got into graduate school without much research experience in the first place. My CV looks nice and all, but I wouldn't consider two-thirds of it as even research. I'd call it "working" in a research environment. What is research? At my last internship, the computer programmer said programming was like research, trying to find which code/algorithm worked best... Well, if so, I certainly did a lot of research, ehehehe... definitely used my brain a lot trying to figure out bugs and algorithms. But in terms of actual research, I'm not sure...



Anyways, enough about school. (Is that all I talk about? Yes, well, that's my life as of now.) I finished reading Haruki Murakami's 1987 book "Norwegian Wood". It's pretty good, it started off slow for me, but then the narration got quite interesting, ala Catcher in the Rye style. I really felt close to the characters, but I wouldn't mind if Murakami wouldn't include so much unnecessary sex in there. I don't see how blowjobs are central to the love story. It's kinda weird book, but then everyone says it's Murakami's "normal" book, compared to his other really weird books, one of which I'm going to start reading soon, "A Wild Sheep Chase".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home