Franiwack

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Some UCLA undergrad found me on Bruinwalk and asked me about cybernetics major.

Back then, "What's your major" elicited "Wow, how cool!" and "What IS that?" and "You do AI!?!"

Now, "What's your major" elicits frowns and "I'm sorry" and "That was so boring when I took it". And my favorite, "What's so hard about a PhD in stats? All you do is average stuff." Technically everything in stats is averages and variances, but still... I'd like to think I learned more than what Stat 2 students can do : "sum all the values and divide by the number of values that you have".

2 Comments:

Blogger ln said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:43 AM  
Blogger ln said...

Indeed you can! I just heard a person in the stats department lecture about her research area. It was very interesting and it resembled the lecture this other guy gave on scientific computation. Anyways! The point is that you can do sooo much w/ statistics. And what's interesting is that if you solely think of statistics as "averages" (i.e. those people you were talking to), you get those nasty curves that don't resemble anything (very bad estimations).

Of course, you already knew all that ;)

So, oh-wise-and-knowing-franiwack, you are cool and your major is cool :)

10:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home