Franiwack

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Friday, January 06, 2006

So my procrastination is still not at an end. I have to write a letter of rec for the prof I TAed for last semester, but first I might start on a new book:

How do I choose books? It's not very methodical, or you might say it's eccentric, but it currently works very well for me.

Since I do not want to be wasting time on books that aren't going to be worth my lazy @$$ time, I search for books in the library that have at least 4 or 5 copies sitting on the shelves. This at least shows that it used to be a bestseller or quite popular. As I am a sheep, if the common masses like this book, then I'm sure I'll like it to some extent. There's no point in me wasting the effort to read a ton of crappy books to find a gem of a book that only I consider terrific.

Also, I'm almost obsessive-compulsive when it comes to the condition of the book. If it's nice and clean and pages are crisp, then my enjoyment factor and investment into the book becomes greater. Which is why I'm so used to just buying books, but as it is... I've got way too many new books at home that I haven't read and books are getting expensive nowadays. (Why pay $14 when you can rent the movie for a few bucks?) So I finally renewed my Arcadia library card yesterday. Paranoid me, I brought along driver's license, phone bill and even my bank statement to prove that I sorta have a connection to Arcadia.

Anyways, at this rate, I still find good books around in the library. So far I've got the one mentioned above and William Faulkner's Light in August. Last Faulkner I read was As I Lay Dying, which is one of the most interesting and unique books I've ever read. There's actually a picture of a coffin inside, and it's the first of the dead woman narrations that I've encountered. (Lovely Bag of Bones has a dead girl narrating and Desperate Housewives has a dead woman narrating... copycats...) Anyhoo, I'll leave you with the message on a poster in front of me:

"IT'S HIP TO READ. HOP TO IT!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home